Team Spirit is the willingness to cooperate as part of a team. It can also refer to the Spirit of a group that makes the members want the group to succeed. Team spirit is a means to an end and not an end in itself.
An individual with a team spirit is usually:
Trustworthy- This is a major trait of team spirit. Can people trust you? Again, You can only trust people before you form a formidable force together. The trust to ascertain and believe a team member is not capable of hurting you.
Passionate about Excellence- he is often concerned and seeks to resolve a puzzle, “What is the best approach to achieve an excellent result?”
Positive- He seeks to build positive relationships which would rather scatter and expect a bountiful harvest and usually optimistic about everything no matter how gloomy it might seem.
Open to Learning- learning from each other creates room for improvement and cohesion. A general saying says nobody knows it all.
Persistent- It is the single most important thing for success in every individual. When you relate this to team, it will make the team dare to attain more heights irrespective of failures, setbacks and success.
Initiative- He has the capacity to think for himself, he comes up with creative and virgin ideas, innovative and able to communicate same with accuracy and clarity.
Accommodating- Being fully aware of the fact that different and contrasting characters would be met, there is need for accepting people just the way they are. With time, people are going to learn themselves and avoid stepping on each other’s toes.
Ideas on how to build a strong team spirit:
- Articulate and operate within a core set of values. Be impeccable about fairness, honesty, and respect for the individual. There must be a goal to accomplish among the team. These values should be sacrosanct, protected and strictly adhered to.
- Provide clear direction and a sense of purpose. Everyone while working together should know what their roles are. It should be clearly spelt and unambiguous. Sometimes team members may not even know what the person sitting right next to them is supposed to be doing, it is totally anti-team spirit. Everyone should be aware of each other’s roles.
- Make trust-building a top priority. It is the foundation of high-performing teams. Trust is built by being reliable, open, straightforward, and accepting.
- Value the contribution of each player. Loyalty is earned by caring about not only the performance, but also the person.
- Build on strengths; manage weakness. Put people in positions where they play best and minimize where they are vulnerable.
- Listen to, acknowledge, and celebrate each player early and often.
- Check in with your team mates weekly, daily, or randomly, it’s important to bring everyone together to share, for just a few minutes, what they have completed recently and what they are working on. Often see what each other are involved in. By sharing with the group, you can identify ways to build each other up, eliminate redundancies, and encourage partnerships by utilizing each other’s expertise, books, tools, and contacts. Keep an open dialogue with and between your team.
Where is team spirit needed?
Team spirit is needed in all facets of life and interactions both intra-personally and inter-personally. It is needed in Schools, Churches, Class, Meetings, Family, Market places, Business, Organisations and any other form of gatherings that needs interactions with other individuals.
Finally, do not buy into the fallacy that winning is all that matters. The means to an end is as important as the end itself. If you are not failing every now and again, It is a sign that you are not doing anything very innovative-Woody Allen. Another notable writer also wrote you cannot tell how much spirit a team has until it starts losing.
Conclusively, It is never how fast you complete a task but the determining factor and what matters is how well you completed the task. If you want to go FAST go alone, if you want to go FAR go together. Coming together is a beginning, Keeping together is progress and working together is success. Te strongest and most united teams rise to the highest levels of performance.
DARE TO BE A TEAM PLAYER.
Some quotes on team spirit:
“Great spirits have encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds”-Albert Einstein
“It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”- Helen Keller
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.”-Michael Jordan
“May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.”-Trenton Lee Stewart
“The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team.”-Phil Jackson
“I know half, and I know two guys who each know half of half, so together we’re altogether. Let this be a lesson in networking.” –Jarod Kintz
“Only by binding together as a single force will we remain strong and unconquerable.”-Chris Bradford
“Remember teamwork begins by building trust. And the only way to do that is to overcome our need for invulnerability.” –Patrick Lencioni