Although English language is now the language of government, business and commerce, education, the mass media, literature and internal as well as external communication, there are still problems in the teaching of English as a second language in secondary schools. Students presume that English language is a difficult language to learn and so do not make effort to learn it. Teachers also find it difficult to cope with the heavy demand required for effective teaching and learning of English language. This research work was carried out using the twenty secondary schools in Igbo Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu state. Six boys secondary schools, eight girls secondary schools and six co-educational schools. The target population was one thousand, eight hundred and fifty four students in JS III and one thousand, eight hundred and eighty eight students in SS III and one hundred and five English teachers. Ten schools and two hundred students from both junior and senior secondary schools were used for the study. Forty teachers were also selected and analyzed using mean. Based on the findings some recommendations were made.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of contents:
List of tables:
1.1 Background of the study:
1.2 Statement of the problems:
1.3 Purpose of the study:
1.4 Significant of the study:
1.5 Research question:
1.6 Scope of the study:
1.7 Limitation of the study:
1.8 Definition of terms:
REVIEW OF RELATED LITRATURE
2.1 Origin and importance of English (L1):
2.2 English as a second language (L2):
2.3 Problem of mother tongue (L1) interference in English language learning:
2.4 Problem of shortage of specialist teacher in English:
2.5 Students physical and psychological problems:
2.6 Lack of basic and necessary equipment constitute a problems:
2.7 The problem of teaching method and strategies:
2.8 Time allotted to English language on the time table:
2.9 Summary of literature review:
3.2 Area of study:
3.4 Sample techniques:
3.5 Instrument for data collection:
3.6 Validation of instrument:
3.7 Method of data collection:
3.8 Method of data analysis:
4.1 Data presentation and data analysis:
4.2 Research questions:
5.1 Discussion of the results:
5.2 Summary of findings:
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2013, 04). Problems Of Teaching English As A Second Language In Nigeria Secondary School (a Case Study Of Igbo Etiti Local Government Area) Of Enugu State.. Afribary.com. Retrieved 04, 2013, from https://afribary.com/read/1412/problems-of-teaching-english-as-a-second-language-in-nigeria-secondary-school-a-case-study-of-igbo-etiti-local-government-area-of-enugu-state
"Problems Of Teaching English As A Second Language In Nigeria Secondary School (a Case Study Of Igbo Etiti Local Government Area) Of Enugu State." Afribary.com. 04 2013. 2013. 04 2013 <https://afribary.com/read/1412/problems-of-teaching-english-as-a-second-language-in-nigeria-secondary-school-a-case-study-of-igbo-etiti-local-government-area-of-enugu-state>.
"Problems Of Teaching English As A Second Language In Nigeria Secondary School (a Case Study Of Igbo Etiti Local Government Area) Of Enugu State.." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 04 2013. Web. 04 2013. <https://afribary.com/read/1412/problems-of-teaching-english-as-a-second-language-in-nigeria-secondary-school-a-case-study-of-igbo-etiti-local-government-area-of-enugu-state>.
"Problems Of Teaching English As A Second Language In Nigeria Secondary School (a Case Study Of Igbo Etiti Local Government Area) Of Enugu State.." Afribary.com. 04, 2013. Accessed 04, 2013. https://afribary.com/read/1412/problems-of-teaching-english-as-a-second-language-in-nigeria-secondary-school-a-case-study-of-igbo-etiti-local-government-area-of-enugu-state.
- Related Works
- Identification Of Difficult Teaching And Learning Topics In Senior Secondary School Curricula In Nigeria A Case Study Of Ss3 Curricula Of Chemstry, Physics And English Language
- Application Of Audio Visual Aids In Teaching English Language In Senior Secondary Schools In Igbo - Eze North Local Government Area In Enugu State
- Adoption Of International Financial Reporting Standards (ifrs) To Enhance Financial Reporting In Nigeria Universities
- Effects Of Supervision On Commercial Bank Management (a Case Study Of Afribank Plc, Okpara Avenue Enugu)
- Impact Of Thrift Organization On Economic Well Being Of Individuals And Organization In Enugu State.
- The Appraisal Of The Techniques Used In Teaching Of Economics In Secondary Schools (a Case Study Of Enugu East Local Government Area).
- The Impact Of Entrepreneurial Development On The Economic Development Of A State (a Case Study Of Selected Firms In Enugu Urban)
- The Impact Of Television Advertising On Marketing Of Soft Drinks In Enugu Metropolis. (a Case Study Of Fanta Bottled By Nbc)
- An Appraisal On The Impact Of Oil Industry On The Economic Development Of Nigeria (a Case Study Of Shell Petroleum Development Company Spdc)
- Accounting System In Local Government