Isolation and characterisatics of an antibiotics producing bacterium collected from the soil near the arbatior in artesan market Enugu was achieved by characterizing a collection of 74 soil bacteria, including eubacteria and actinomycetes, according to their ability to produce antibacterial antibiotics and their growth responses to 43 physiological and nutritional tests. The characters which were selective for actinomycetes relative to eubacteria included growth on proline (l%w, /v) and humic acid (0.1 %) as sole sources of both carbon and nitrogen, growth on nitrate as a nitrogen source, and growth at pH 7.7-8.0.
Growth on proline (1 %) and humic acid (0.1 %) as sole carbonlnitrogen sources, growth on asparagine as a nitrogen source, and growth in the presence of vitamins were among the characteristics which allowed antibioticproducing actinomycetes to be differentiated from non-antibiotic-producing strains.
Several simple isolation media which incorporated the selective substrates identified by discriminant analysis succeeded in increasing the proportion of actinomycetes isolated from soil samples. Furthermore, the percentage of isolates capable of antibiotic production was considerably increased.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
LIST OF TABLES
TABLE OF CONTENTS
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
AIM AND OBJECTIVES
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
HISTORY OF BACTERIOLOGY
SAMPLE COLLECTION AND EXPERIMENTATION
3.0 MATERIALS AND METHODS
Measurement of antimicrobial activity.
Utilization of carbon sources.
Utilization of combined carbon and nitrogen sources.
This test was carried out on a carbon utilization agar similar to the above but with the nitrogen source [(NH4)2S041o mitted. Aspartate, threonine and proline were tested at a carbon level equivalent to 10 g 1-1 (1 %, w/v) glucose whilst humic acid (Aldrich) was tested at levels equivalent to both 1 % and 0.1% (w/v) glucose.
Utilization of nitrogen sources.
Inoculation, incubation and growth measurement.
Coding of data
Evaluation of selective substrates for actinomycetes and antibwticproducing actinomycetes.
RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
Results and Discussion
Antibiotic-producing ability of the isolates
Discriminant analysis of actinornycetes versus eubacteria
Table 1. Discriminant variables for actinomycetes and eubacteria
5.0 CONCLUSION, RECOMMENDATION AND REFERENCES
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word.
CITE THIS WORK
(2013, 09). Isolation And Characteristics Of An Antibiotics Producing Bacterium Collected From The Soil Near The Abattoir In Artisan Market Enugu... Afribary.com. Retrieved 09, 2013, from https://afribary.com/read/1774/isolation-and-characteristics-of-an-antibiotics-producing-bacterium-collected-from-the-soil-near-the-abattoir-in-artisan-market-enugu
"Isolation And Characteristics Of An Antibiotics Producing Bacterium Collected From The Soil Near The Abattoir In Artisan Market Enugu.." Afribary.com. 09 2013. 2013. 09 2013 <https://afribary.com/read/1774/isolation-and-characteristics-of-an-antibiotics-producing-bacterium-collected-from-the-soil-near-the-abattoir-in-artisan-market-enugu>.
"Isolation And Characteristics Of An Antibiotics Producing Bacterium Collected From The Soil Near The Abattoir In Artisan Market Enugu..." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 09 2013. Web. 09 2013. <https://afribary.com/read/1774/isolation-and-characteristics-of-an-antibiotics-producing-bacterium-collected-from-the-soil-near-the-abattoir-in-artisan-market-enugu>.
"Isolation And Characteristics Of An Antibiotics Producing Bacterium Collected From The Soil Near The Abattoir In Artisan Market Enugu..." Afribary.com. 09, 2013. Accessed 09, 2013. https://afribary.com/read/1774/isolation-and-characteristics-of-an-antibiotics-producing-bacterium-collected-from-the-soil-near-the-abattoir-in-artisan-market-enugu.
- Related Works
- Isolation And Characterization Of Microorganisms From Stored Pap (ogi)
- The Physico-chemical And Antioxidant Properties Of Culinary Herbs And Local Spies Pipe Guieense (uziza) Xylpia Aethpica (uda) Monodora Myristica (ehuru) Tetrapelura Tetraptera (oshosho)
- The Effect Of Pesticides Dichlorodiphenyl Trichloroeyhane (d.d.y) And Benzene Hexachroride (bhc) On The Microflora Of The Three Types Of Soil.
- Assessment Of Newcastle Disease Virus Antibodies Among Poultry Birds (a Case Study Of Anyigba Kogi State)
- Extraction And Characterization Of White Mucuna Pruriens Var. Utilis Seed Oil
- Evaluation Of Antioxidant Potential Of Monodora Myristica (african Nutmeg)
- Evaluation Of Current Techniques In Diagnoses Of Human Immune Deficiency Virus (hiv)
- Anaemia In Pregnancy (a Case Study Of Pregnant Women Attending Antenatal Clinic At Univeristy Of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (unth, Enugu)
- Chickenpox In Children
- The Antibacterial Activity Of Three Types Of Medicated Soaps On Starhyrococcus Aureus Form Would Infections