The purpose of this study was to examine banks, on investments and performance appraisal. It was also to ascertain the problems of using financial reports to access performance of banks and finally to determine 17 thereâ€™s a relationship between financial reporting and performance evaluation of a bank.
The inductive research method was adopted and the statistical analysts, particularly the chi-square and t-distribution test were used in the analysis of the data collected from the bank.
The findings of the study were that:
1.Source financial statement contained in the financial reports influence investment remarkably in banks.
2.The annual reports do not reflect inflationary effects in the country today.
3.The financial reports were prepared adapting a general purpose nature with the assumption that different user as of the report have different information needs.
The following conclusions were made:
Although investors and performance evaluation analyst relied on financial statement in their decisions and appraisal, the reliability of financial report especially during inflation cannot be assured owing to the historical cost convention used as a basis for asset valuation by banks. This is because; the profits of an accounting year would not usually show a true figure owing to the courage effect of inflation. Therefore, managerial decision of banks based entirely on financial reports will lend to poor and inadequate decisions.
The recommendations and suggesting made were base wholly on the out come of the study, for example, on the problem inflation, it was recommended that the bank should adopt the current cost accounting basis for its financial reporting ensure credibility and reliability of information, by the various users, given the inflationary relatives.
TABLE OF CONTENT
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
DEFINITION OF TERMS
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC
THE NEED FOR FINANCIAL REPORTS
THE COMPOSITION OF THE FINANCIAL REPORTS
THE CHAIRMAN'S REPORTS
THE DIRECTORS REPORT
THE AUDITORS REPORT
THE FINANCIAL STATEMENT
2.4 VARIOUS USERS OF FINANCIAL REPORTS AND THEIR INFORMATION NEEDS
2.4.4TAX AUTHORITIES AND GOVERNMENT
2.4.5EMPLOYEES AND TRADE UNIONS
2.5 FINANCIAL REPORTING BY BANKS
2.5.2THE PRUDENTIAL GUIDELINES
2.6 PERFORMANCE EVALUATION IN THE BANKING INDUSTRY
2.6.1EFFICIENCY AND PROFITABILITY
2.6.2POTENTIAL AND ACTUAL GROWTH
2.6.3LOANS AND ADVANCES
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
SOURCES OF DATA
3.2.1 PRIMARY SOURCES
3.2.2 SECONDARY SOURCES
3.3 POPULATION OF THE STUDY
3.4 METHOD OF DATA PRESENTATION
3.5 METHODS OF DATA ANALYSIS
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
DATA ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES
TEST OF HYPOTHESIS
FINDINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS ANS CONCLUSIONS FINDINGS
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word.
CITE THIS WORK
(2012, 12). A Critical Ananlisis Of The Use Of Financial Report In Assessing Bank Performance. (a Case Study Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc).. Afribary.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from https://afribary.com/read/491/a-critical-ananlisis-of-the-use-of-financial-report-in-assessing-bank-performance-a-case-study-union-bank-of-nigeria-plc
"A Critical Ananlisis Of The Use Of Financial Report In Assessing Bank Performance. (a Case Study Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc)." Afribary.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <https://afribary.com/read/491/a-critical-ananlisis-of-the-use-of-financial-report-in-assessing-bank-performance-a-case-study-union-bank-of-nigeria-plc>.
"A Critical Ananlisis Of The Use Of Financial Report In Assessing Bank Performance. (a Case Study Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc).." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <https://afribary.com/read/491/a-critical-ananlisis-of-the-use-of-financial-report-in-assessing-bank-performance-a-case-study-union-bank-of-nigeria-plc>.
"A Critical Ananlisis Of The Use Of Financial Report In Assessing Bank Performance. (a Case Study Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc).." Afribary.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. https://afribary.com/read/491/a-critical-ananlisis-of-the-use-of-financial-report-in-assessing-bank-performance-a-case-study-union-bank-of-nigeria-plc.
- Related Works
- Community Banking System And The Promotion Of Rural Development
- Appraisal Of Internal Control System As A Means Of Preventing Fraud In Nigeria Financial Institutions A Case Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc Onitsha
- An Appraisal Of The Economic Implication Of Electronic Banking In Operations Of Banks In Nigeria (a Case Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc)
- The Need For Improved Customer Services In The Banking Industry (a Case Study Of Union Bank Of Nigeria Enugu Main Branch)
- Analysis Of The Effectiveness Of Information Technology On Banking Services Delivery (a Case Study Of Union Bank Enugu)
- Fraudulent Act In The Banking Inudtry Causes Effects And Possible Remedies
- Bank Failure In Nigeria And Mordern System Of Computer Banking To Bring Inprovement.
- Dividend Policy And Its Impact On Share Price Valuation (a Case Study Of Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc)
- An Appraisal Of The Problems Of Financing Small Scale Business By Commercial Bank In Nigeria (a Case Study Of Unity Bank, Aba).
- The Role Of Financial Accountability In The Private Sector. A Case Study Of Emenite Limited, Enugu