The system of Banking arose as a result of the development of paper money. In olden days when people were using system of exchange â€œBarter tradeâ€ where goods are exchanged for good. The British Gold smith formed the habit of keeping peoples valuables like gold and issue receipts, which were being stored by the Gold smith until later dates.
From these, the system of Banking started developing till it reached its stage now in the world.
In Nigeria, the first indigenous bank was National Bank of Nigeria (NBN) which started operation in 1933 which was after the establishment of Africa Banking Corporation (AB) in 1892. British Bank of West Africa (BBWA) was then established in 1893 and started operations in 1894.
Then this African continental Bank PLC (ACB) followed in 1947 before other bank started to exist.
The performance of banking industries in Nigeria cannot be over emphasized but it has contributed a lot in the development of Nigerian business.
Nigerian banks have not performed up to its expectation over the years of its establishment. The system has experienced a lot of short falls, which will be highlighted in this write-up.
Due to changing economy of the nation, banking system is expected to play a vital role in the Nigerian business economy.
The consumers of this project will understand the development of Nigeria banking system, the problem facing it, cause of the problems and also means of preventing future problem in the system.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.1Background of the study
1.2Statement of the problem
1.3Purpose /objective of the study
1.4Significance of the study
1.5Limitation of the study
1.6Definition of terms.
Review of related literature
2.1 Definition of a bank
2.2 Types of banks and their functions.
2.3 The role of banks in the National Economy
2.4 Types of problem facing commercial banking industry in Nigerian.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY.
3.1 Source of data (Secondary data only)
3.2 Location of data
3.3 Method of data collection (literature work only)
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2012, 12). The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.. Afribary.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria." Afribary.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria>.
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria>.
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.." Afribary.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria.
- Related Works
- The Role Of Commercial Banks In The Economic Development Of Nigeria
- The Role Of Financial Institutions In The Management Of Loan Syndication In Nigeria Economy.
- The Impact Of Management Information On Bank Lending Decisions
- The Role Of An Auditor In Combating Fraud In Business Organization
- The Role Of Nigeria Agricultural Co-operative And Rural Development Bank On Nigeria Economy
- Bank Failure: “causes And Consequences”
- Nigeria Bank And Issue Of Distress
- The Role Of Community Banks On The Development Of Rural Communities
- Trade Fair As An Instrument Of Increasing Marketing Performance. (a Case Study Of Emily Millionaire Enugu
- “impact Of Central Bank Of Nigeria (cbn) Prudential Guidelines On Licenced Banks” (acase Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc And Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc).