The system of Banking arose as a result of the development of paper money. In olden days when people were using system of exchange â€œBarter tradeâ€ where goods are exchanged for good. The British Gold smith formed the habit of keeping peoples valuables like gold and issue receipts, which were being stored by the Gold smith until later dates.
From these, the system of Banking started developing till it reached its stage now in the world.
In Nigeria, the first indigenous bank was National Bank of Nigeria (NBN) which started operation in 1933 which was after the establishment of Africa Banking Corporation (AB) in 1892. British Bank of West Africa (BBWA) was then established in 1893 and started operations in 1894.
Then this African continental Bank PLC (ACB) followed in 1947 before other bank started to exist.
The performance of banking industries in Nigeria cannot be over emphasized but it has contributed a lot in the development of Nigerian business.
Nigerian banks have not performed up to its expectation over the years of its establishment. The system has experienced a lot of short falls, which will be highlighted in this write-up.
Due to changing economy of the nation, banking system is expected to play a vital role in the Nigerian business economy.
The consumers of this project will understand the development of Nigeria banking system, the problem facing it, cause of the problems and also means of preventing future problem in the system.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.1Background of the study
1.2Statement of the problem
1.3Purpose /objective of the study
1.4Significance of the study
1.5Limitation of the study
1.6Definition of terms.
Review of related literature
2.1 Definition of a bank
2.2 Types of banks and their functions.
2.3 The role of banks in the National Economy
2.4 Types of problem facing commercial banking industry in Nigerian.
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY.
3.1 Source of data (Secondary data only)
3.2 Location of data
3.3 Method of data collection (literature work only)
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2012, 12). The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.. Afribary.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria." Afribary.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria>.
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria>.
"The Problem Of Banking Systems In Nigeria.." Afribary.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. https://afribary.com/read/565/the-problem-of-banking-systems-in-nigeria.
- Related Works
- The Strategies For Avoidance Of Distress In Nigeria Commercial Bank (a Case Study Of First Bank Plc Enugu)
- The Value Added Tax And Its Effect On The Economy (a Case Study Of Enugu State)
- Bank Failure: Causes And Consequences
- An Examination Of The Techinques Of Managing Financial Distress In The Nigeria Banking Industry
- Crisis Management In The Banking Industry
- The Role Of Financial Management A Corporate Orgnaisation A Case Study Of Nicon Insurance Company Limited Enugu, Enugu State
- An Analysis Of The Operation Of The Nigerian Capital Market (a Case Study Of The Nigerian Stock Exchange Kaduna Branch)
- The Role Of Computer In Fraud Selection And Prevention In The Nigerian Commercial Banking Industry
- Detection And Prevention Of Financial Fraud In Nigeria Banks
- The Role Of Nigerian Merchant Bank In Financing International Trade