Location: The U.S
Value: Fully Funded
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022 at 5 p.m. Tunis time.
About the Program
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 30, 2022 at 5 p.m. Tunis time. Please read the application materials carefully before beginning the application.
- About the program (Arabic and English) (PDF, 381 KB)
- Tips for applying (PDF, 124 KB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 212 KB)
- Eligible institutions (PDF, 179 KB)
- Academic integrity guide (PDF, 132 KB)
The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established by U.S. law.
Competition for the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program is merit-based and open to anyone who:
- is a Tunisian citizen;
- currently resides in Tunisia;
- is enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate, university/institute student in good academic standing at the time of application at a registered academic institution in Tunisia;
- is NOT in the final year of their undergraduate program at the time of application
- Architecture students are eligible in their first, second, third, or fourth year of study.
- Engineering students are eligible in their first or second year (preparatory classes), and third and fourth year of undergraduate study.
- is able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- is at least 18 years old by July 1, 2023;
- is committed to returning to Tunisia after completion of the program;
- is able to achieve a TOEFL score of at least 500; and
- completes the academic year prior to study in the United States in good standing with a passing average (a.k.a. moyenne générale).
Please note that you do not need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to apply for this program. Only semi-finalists are required to take the TOEFL, and testing will be provided for them free of charge.
How to apply
The application must be completed online. Applicants must fill out all required sections of the application and provide contact information for two references. Reference 1 and reference 2 must be completed by two different individuals who can speak to your suitability as a potential scholarship recipient. References may be provided by professors, advisors, managers, mentors, etc.
Complete copies of all application materials must be received together in one package as per the application instructions by Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 5 p.m. Tunis time. Only complete applications, which include a complete application form with two reference forms, will be forwarded to the selection committee.
Download the full application instructions(PDF, 216 KB).
To learn more about the program and share program information with interested applicants, please read the following:
- Letter to parents (Arabic and English) (PDF, 155 KB)
If you have questions about the TJSP application, please e-mail [email protected].
The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program is made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Department of State and implemented by IREX.