How do I move to Canada as a temporary foreign worker? To move to Canada as a temporary foreign worker, you must get a work permit. There are different kinds of work permits.
If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you need a work permit to work legally in Canada.
In general, you need to apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or a Canadian visa office before you come to Canada. For these work permits:
- You need to get a job offer from a Canadian employer before you apply.
- The employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
- ESDC will decide whether the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job.
There are special work permits for some kinds of workers. For example, there are special work permit programs for caregivers, business people and agricultural workers.
What if you are already in Canada
If you are already in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a special type of work permit. For more information, go to Eligibility to Apply from Inside Canada go to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html
Can I become a permanent resident?
Temporary foreign workers can apply for permanent residence under these programs:
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
- Caregiver Program
You must meet eligibility requirements to apply for these programs.
You can also apply as a skilled worker, but there is no special category within the skilled worker class for temporary foreign workers.
How to Apply
You can apply to work in Canada, extend a work permit or hire a foreign worker online at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada.html
How applying online helps you
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
- You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Apply at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/apply-work-permit-outside-canada.html