Prevalence And Usage Of Open Recreational Spaces In Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria

 ABSTRACT

Open Recreational Space (ORS) consists of natural and organized open spaces used for outdoor recreational purpose. However, there are limited studies in the prevalence and usage of ORS in Nigeria. Prior to the nation’s colonial administration and even after, the embracement of ORS has been challenged as a result of the people’s value system, rising urbanization, poor planning and adherence to cultural activities. Consequently, most traditional cities like Ibadan have experienced paucity of this stress reliever in many ways: children at the neighborhood level have turned streets into fields of play; there is continuous congestion in the few parks during festive period and absence of open green spaces have faded with the city rate of urbanization. The study aims examining the prevalence and uses of open recreational space in Ibadan. Six objectives formed the basis of the research namely: identifying the socio-economics characteristics and locations of recreational resources, determining the peculiarity in demand and provision of open recreational resources; examining the perceptions of the residents towards the open recreational resources and participation; examine various factors militating against good management of recreational space; examining the existing recreational participation relationships in the study zones; and to evaluate the level of compliance to the urban planning regulations in the provision of recreational spaces in the city of Ibadan. Data for the study were obtained primarily through oral interview and administration of questionnaires to 800 purposely selected residents in the core five LGAs of Ibadan and staff of Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development. Data collated were analyzed and interpreted using simple descriptive and inferential statistics assisted with the use of Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS version 17). Binary logistic regression was also engaged to illustrate the relationship between participation in recreation and selected predictors. The results showed that cost, distance and poor management were significant predictors of participation in recreational activities in the study area (B = -0.096 at 0.068 level of significance). The study also shows that respondents lived at varied distances away from the recreational facility locations with about 45.3% of residents falling within two kilometres proximity range, while the rest 54.7 % lived outside the ideal distant range of two kilometres and more. Finding also revealed that there were payments of fees in some recreational centres, as 52.6% of the respondents affirmed paying fees at Ibadan Amusement Parks and Zoological Garden. Again, perception of the ORS provision revealed that

three perceived variables of crowdedness, poor information and poor road accessibility ranked first, second and third with standard means of 1.9262, 1.8955 and 1.895, respectively. The study discovered a wholesome 84.3% satisfaction level in the maintenance of the ORS across the five zones investigated. The study recommended more comprehensive empirical studies on the entire Ibadan which should form the basis for obtaining accurate data and correct predictions of its future recreational needs. Apparently, there are many factors that have to be considered along this holistic research proposition at the same time, such as government political will to support the proposal. The study concluded that a comprehensive plan will be the best option for decision to revitalize many parts of the study areas rather than the piece meal planning approach often engaged in by the government.

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

RAPHAEL, S (2021). Prevalence And Usage Of Open Recreational Spaces In Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/prevalence-and-usage-of-open-recreational-spaces-in-ibadan-southwest-nigeria

MLA 8th

RAPHAEL, SIMON "Prevalence And Usage Of Open Recreational Spaces In Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria" Afribary. Afribary, 20 May. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/prevalence-and-usage-of-open-recreational-spaces-in-ibadan-southwest-nigeria. Accessed 14 Jul. 2024.

MLA7

RAPHAEL, SIMON . "Prevalence And Usage Of Open Recreational Spaces In Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria". Afribary, Afribary, 20 May. 2021. Web. 14 Jul. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/prevalence-and-usage-of-open-recreational-spaces-in-ibadan-southwest-nigeria >.

Chicago

RAPHAEL, SIMON . "Prevalence And Usage Of Open Recreational Spaces In Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria" Afribary (2021). Accessed July 14, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/prevalence-and-usage-of-open-recreational-spaces-in-ibadan-southwest-nigeria