The purpose of the study was to study the role of fisheries' marketing extention on development of nile fisheries' production and marketing for fishermen and merchants in Almorda fish market in Omdurman Locality in Khartoum State. To achieve this purpose adescriptive analytical approach was used to collect the field data. And A systemic random sampling approach was used to select a sample size of 100 Respondents (50 fishermen and 50 merchant( in Almorda Fish Market in Khartoum State. The field data was collected through a questionnaire which incuded 83 questions about farmers characteristics, questions related to the farmers perceptions related to best management practices in fisheries' production and marketing in the study area. And the data were analysed through a descriptive statistic using SPSS Programme. Among the main resuts reached through the study are:-
- Almost half of fish sellers respondents 52% were Retailers.
- The majority of fishermen 82% were not belonging to the Union of Fish Traders and Fishermen while 68% of fish merchants were belonging to the Union.
- 62% of fishermen and 86% of fish merchants did not receive extension visits from fisheries extension personnel.
- 91.8% of fishermen and 80% of fish merchants did not attend extension training courses.
- 88% of fishermen and 74% of fish merchants did not receive extension messages concerning marketing of high-quality fish (non-spoiled).
- 94% of fishermen and 76% of merchants did not receive extension messages and awareness concerning how to preserve the fish freshness.
- 78% of merchants respondents explained that the supply of fish to the market is the decisive factor in changing fish prices.
- 68% of fishermen respondents said that climate variability of rain, wind and cold is the main problems facing fishing.
- There is no significant relationship betwieen the age and the rate of extension visits to Fishermen .
- There is no significant relationship betwieen the age and the rate of extension visits to merchants.
and finally, some recommendations were made for attenstion of some development organizations concerned with fisheries production and marketing in Sudan as follows:-
Firstly :- Recommendations forewarded to the Departments of Extension and Technology Transfer within the Ministries of Livestock and Agriculture:-
- Establishment of fisheries marketing extension units within the departments to take the resposiblity of training their extension agents and fishermen and Merchants in the areas of fisheries marketing extension.
- Establish of information networks that provide farmers with both marketing and production information.
- To provide extension advice for both fishermen and fish Merchants in postes harvest techniques, and in cooperative fish marketing approaches to reduce costs and achievement profitable returns.
Secondly:- The following recommendations are directed to the faculties of Agriculture, veterinary science and animal production:-
- Courses of agricultural marketing extension should be included in the curricula of these faculties.
Thirdly:- In the field of future studies; we recommend more future research to be carried on the following areas:-
- The role of agricultural marketing extension on providing fishermen and merchants with knowledge in marketing information1
- The impact of agricultural marketing extension on increasing the efficiency of marketing services.
Ibrahim, A. (2021). The Role of Fisheries' Marketing Extension on Development of Nile Fisheries' Production and Marketing Case study of Fishermen and Merchants in Almorda Market – Omdurman Locality – Khartoum St. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/the-role-of-fisheries-marketing-extension-on-development-of-nile-fisheries-production-and-marketing-case-study-of-fishermen-and-merchants-in-almorda-market-omdurman-locality-khartoum-state-su
Ibrahim, Abbas "The Role of Fisheries' Marketing Extension on Development of Nile Fisheries' Production and Marketing Case study of Fishermen and Merchants in Almorda Market – Omdurman Locality – Khartoum St" Afribary. Afribary, 20 May. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/the-role-of-fisheries-marketing-extension-on-development-of-nile-fisheries-production-and-marketing-case-study-of-fishermen-and-merchants-in-almorda-market-omdurman-locality-khartoum-state-su. Accessed 30 Nov. 2023.
Ibrahim, Abbas . "The Role of Fisheries' Marketing Extension on Development of Nile Fisheries' Production and Marketing Case study of Fishermen and Merchants in Almorda Market – Omdurman Locality – Khartoum St". Afribary, Afribary, 20 May. 2021. Web. 30 Nov. 2023. < https://afribary.com/works/the-role-of-fisheries-marketing-extension-on-development-of-nile-fisheries-production-and-marketing-case-study-of-fishermen-and-merchants-in-almorda-market-omdurman-locality-khartoum-state-su >.
Ibrahim, Abbas . "The Role of Fisheries' Marketing Extension on Development of Nile Fisheries' Production and Marketing Case study of Fishermen and Merchants in Almorda Market – Omdurman Locality – Khartoum St" Afribary (2021). Accessed November 30, 2023. https://afribary.com/works/the-role-of-fisheries-marketing-extension-on-development-of-nile-fisheries-production-and-marketing-case-study-of-fishermen-and-merchants-in-almorda-market-omdurman-locality-khartoum-state-su