A Comparative Analysis Of The Marketing Strategies Of Dominant Political Parties In Nigeria (The Case Of 2003 General Elections)

ABSTRACT

This thesis examines the marketing strategies of dominant political parties in Nigeria with focus on 2003 General Elections. The broad objective of the research is to examine whether contemporary political parties in Nigeria are market-oriented organisations; and whether marketing offers a solution to the current democratic challenges in Nigeria. The study employed the survey method of research in which the data required for the study were generated through the instruments of questionnaire, and in-depth interviews. Four dominant political parties were selected out of thirty political parties that participated in the 2003 General Elections, and their electorates. Quota and stratified sampling techniques were mostly used in their selection; and a sample of 800 respondents was considered. In other words, eight hundred (800) copies of questionnaire were administered and six hundred and twenty six (626) were returned; out of which five hundred and ninety eight (598) were found to be usable. The answers to the returned questionnaire formed the data which were analyzed with tables, frequencies, percentages, ANOVA and chi-square to crystallize the findings. The findings indicate that 52% of electoral success in Nigeria is determined by marketing strategies while the remaining 48% is ascribable to anti-democratic forces like state power, godfatherism, etc. This is largely due to poor perception of the role of marketing strategies in politics. It was further found that Nigerian political parties are product and sales oriented in their marketing strategies as against the market- oriented approach of advanced democracies (e.g U.S.A). This accounts for ineffectiveness of parties, leading to waning interest and sporadic hostilities in Nigerian politics. Based on these findings, it is recommended, among other things, that parties should be voter-focused and responsive to the needs of the electorates.

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

ENWUZURUIKE, W (2021). A Comparative Analysis Of The Marketing Strategies Of Dominant Political Parties In Nigeria (The Case Of 2003 General Elections). Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/a-comparative-analysis-of-the-marketing-strategies-of-dominant-political-parties-in-nigeria-the-case-of-2003-general-elections

MLA 8th

ENWUZURUIKE, WORLU "A Comparative Analysis Of The Marketing Strategies Of Dominant Political Parties In Nigeria (The Case Of 2003 General Elections)" Afribary. Afribary, 20 May. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/a-comparative-analysis-of-the-marketing-strategies-of-dominant-political-parties-in-nigeria-the-case-of-2003-general-elections. Accessed 20 Jul. 2024.

MLA7

ENWUZURUIKE, WORLU . "A Comparative Analysis Of The Marketing Strategies Of Dominant Political Parties In Nigeria (The Case Of 2003 General Elections)". Afribary, Afribary, 20 May. 2021. Web. 20 Jul. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/a-comparative-analysis-of-the-marketing-strategies-of-dominant-political-parties-in-nigeria-the-case-of-2003-general-elections >.

Chicago

ENWUZURUIKE, WORLU . "A Comparative Analysis Of The Marketing Strategies Of Dominant Political Parties In Nigeria (The Case Of 2003 General Elections)" Afribary (2021). Accessed July 20, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/a-comparative-analysis-of-the-marketing-strategies-of-dominant-political-parties-in-nigeria-the-case-of-2003-general-elections