Educational Levels and Unemployment Rates in Uganda

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more

TABLE OF CONTENTS

DECLARATION

APPROVAL

DEDICATION

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT V

TABLE OF CONTENTS vi

LIST OF TABLES ix

ABSTRACT

CHAPTER ONE

INTRODUCTION 1

1.0 Introduction 1

1 . 1 Background of the study 1

1.2 Statement of the Problem 3

1.3. Purpose of the study 4

1 .4. Research objectives 5

1.4.1. Specific objectives 5

1.5. Research questions 5

1 .6. Null hypothesis 5

1.7. Scope of the study 5

1.7.1 Geographical scope 5

1.7.2 Time Scope 5

1.7.3 Content scope 5

1.9 Conceptual Framework 6

1.10 Operational definitions of the key terms 7

CHAPTER TWO 8

LITERATURE REVIEW 8

2.0 Introduction 8

2.1 Trends of educational levels in Uganda 8

2.2 Trends of unemployment rates in Uganda 11

vi

2.3 Relationship between educational levels and unemployment rates 14

CHAPTER THREE 17

METHODOLOGY 17

3.1. Introduction 17

3.2. Research Design 17

3.3 Study Population 17

3.4 Sample Size 18

3.5 Sample Procedure 18

3.6 Sources of Data 18

3.6.1 Primary Data 18

3.6.2 Secondary Data 19

3.7 Research Instruments 19

3.7.1 Interviews 19

3.7.2 Questionnaires 19

3.8 Data Processing 19

3.9 Data Analysis 20

3.10 Ethical Consideration 21

CIIAPTER FOUR 22

DATA ANALYSIS, PRESENTATIONS AND INTERPRETATIONS 22

4.1 Introduction 22

4.2 Socio-Demographic characteristics of respondents 22

4.2.1 Gender of Respondents 22

4.2.2 Age of the respondents 23

4.2.3 Education levels of the Respondents 23

4,2.4 Current employment 24

4.2.5 Marital Status 25

4.2.6 Residence of the respondents 25

4.3 Findings on trends of Educational levels in Uganda 26

4.4 Findings on trends of unemployment rates in Uganda 28

4.5 Findings on relationship between educational levels and unemployment rates 30

VII

CHAPTER FIVE ~

FINDINGS, CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS 34

5.0 Introduction 34

5.1 Conclusions 34

5.2.1 Trends of educational levels in Uganda 34

5.2.2 Trends of unemployment rates in Uganda 34

5.2.3 Relationship between educational levels and unemployment rates 35

5.3 Recommendations 36

5.3 Areas for further research 37

REFERENCES 38

APPENDICES 40

APPENDIX: QUESTIONNAIRE 40

ABSTRACT The study sought to examine the educational levels and unemployment rates in Uganda. The study objectives were; to determine the trends of educational levels in Uganda, to determine the trends of unemployment rates in Uganda and to examine the relationship between educational levels and unemployment rates. Study findings trends of Educational levels in Uganda revealed that 67% of the respondents agreed that as education levels increase more skills are acquired and individuals have more specific knowledge to qualify them for specific jobs whereas the remaining 33% disagreed with the statement. The study concludes that the system of education in Uganda had a structure of 7 years of primary education, 6 years of secondary education (divided into 4 years of lower secondary and 2 years of upper secondary school), and 3 to 5 years of post-secondary education. The objective that of the trends of Educational levels in Uganda, it was found out that 67% of the respondents agreed that as education levels increase more skills are acquired and individuals have more specific knowledge to qualify them for specific jobs whereas the remaining 33% disagreed with the statement. On the second objective of findings on trends of unemployment rates in Uganda it was revealed that 43% of the respondents agreed that they were employed and yet the majority of the respondents were unemployed. Last objective of relationship between educational levels and unemployment rates. It was found out was that 82% of the respondents agreed that as education levels among individuals increase, the unemployment rate is lowered and the remaining 18% of the respondents did not. This also indicated that majority of the respondents were aware that when individuals increase on their levels of education, they are likely to be employed hence minimizing on the level of unemployment in the country. The study concludes that the system of education in Uganda had a structure of 7 years of primary education, 6 years of secondary education (divided into 4 years of lower secondary and 2 years of upper secondary school), and 3 to 5 years of post-secondary education, that majority of students go to universities, both public and private. The remainder are distributed among the more than 20 private universities and a smaller number of non-university institutions. The study recommends that for education institutional learning to further penetrate and reach out even to the poorest of the poor in both rural and urban areas whose income cannot favour them to afford payments in schools or higher learning institutions. The government of Uganda should consider appropriate policy reforms in regard to employment so as to minimize on the levels of unemployment.

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Save
Need help with your academic research project/paper, technical or creative writing? Hire our expert researchers and writers. Click Here to Submit a Writing Request
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

MOHAMOUD, F (2022). Educational Levels and Unemployment Rates in Uganda. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/educational-levels-and-unemployment-rates-in-uganda

MLA 8th

MOHAMOUD, FADUMO "Educational Levels and Unemployment Rates in Uganda" Afribary. Afribary, 28 Jul. 2022, https://afribary.com/works/educational-levels-and-unemployment-rates-in-uganda. Accessed 08 Aug. 2022.

MLA7

MOHAMOUD, FADUMO . "Educational Levels and Unemployment Rates in Uganda". Afribary, Afribary, 28 Jul. 2022. Web. 08 Aug. 2022. < https://afribary.com/works/educational-levels-and-unemployment-rates-in-uganda >.

Chicago

MOHAMOUD, FADUMO . "Educational Levels and Unemployment Rates in Uganda" Afribary (2022). Accessed August 08, 2022. https://afribary.com/works/educational-levels-and-unemployment-rates-in-uganda