Evaluation Of Microbial Quality And Safety Of Milk In Smallholder Dairy Production System In Mbeya And Mbozi Districts, Tanzania

EXTENDED ABSTRACT

Smallholder dairy farmers produce about 70% of cow milk in Tanzania. As the dairy industry grows, it is increasingly becoming important to focus on milk quality and safety in order to produce and retain the existing markets. This study was conducted in order to assess the milk quality and safety in smallholder dairy farming systems in Mbeya rural and Mbozi districts. A cross sectional study was conducted using a structured questionnaire, observation as well as collection of milk samples from smallholder dairy farmers (n=96), milk collection points (n=18) and milk shops (n=36) during the wet and dry seasons of the year 2015 to 2016. A total of 192, 36 and 216 fresh and processed bovine milk samples were collected from individual farmer’s herds, milk collection points and milk shops, respectively. Data on existing practices, general microbial quality of the milk, prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus and risk of human exposure to Staphylococcus enterotoxins gene through raw and ready to consume milk were collected. The results showed that 96.9% of the respondents washed hands and cleaned the cow udders before milking. About 42.2% of the respondents used individual cloth for drying the udder and teats while the rest (57.8%) used one cloth to dry subsequent cows. Milk samples collected from cows kept in barn with concrete floor were significantly (p

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

MASSAWE, H (2021). Evaluation Of Microbial Quality And Safety Of Milk In Smallholder Dairy Production System In Mbeya And Mbozi Districts, Tanzania. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/evaluation-of-microbial-quality-and-safety-of-milk-in-smallholder-dairy-production-system-in-mbeya-and-mbozi-districts-tanzania

MLA 8th

MASSAWE, HERIEL "Evaluation Of Microbial Quality And Safety Of Milk In Smallholder Dairy Production System In Mbeya And Mbozi Districts, Tanzania" Afribary. Afribary, 14 May. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/evaluation-of-microbial-quality-and-safety-of-milk-in-smallholder-dairy-production-system-in-mbeya-and-mbozi-districts-tanzania. Accessed 23 Jul. 2024.

MLA7

MASSAWE, HERIEL . "Evaluation Of Microbial Quality And Safety Of Milk In Smallholder Dairy Production System In Mbeya And Mbozi Districts, Tanzania". Afribary, Afribary, 14 May. 2021. Web. 23 Jul. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/evaluation-of-microbial-quality-and-safety-of-milk-in-smallholder-dairy-production-system-in-mbeya-and-mbozi-districts-tanzania >.

Chicago

MASSAWE, HERIEL . "Evaluation Of Microbial Quality And Safety Of Milk In Smallholder Dairy Production System In Mbeya And Mbozi Districts, Tanzania" Afribary (2021). Accessed July 23, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/evaluation-of-microbial-quality-and-safety-of-milk-in-smallholder-dairy-production-system-in-mbeya-and-mbozi-districts-tanzania