Oil Discovery, In-Migration And Infrastructural Challenges In The Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis

ABSTRACT The purpose of the study was to examine the impact of oil discovery on inmigration and the consequent infrastructural challenges in the SekondiTakoradi Metropolis. The targeted and accessible population for the study included the residents, workers and key informants in Sekondi-Takoradi and the officials of the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly (STMA). Through convenient sampling method forty (40) residents and workers in the area, representing 80% of the sample and ten (10) STMA officials and other officials of the utilities companies, representing the remaining 20%, were selected for the study. This gave a total sample of fifty (50). The research instrument used to collect the needed data for the study was the interview technique. Qualitative research approach was used for this study. It came out from the study that the oil discovery in the area had some impact on migration of people into the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis. The increased population in the area posed some infrastructural challenges in relation to increased demand for housing, high cost of rent, high cost of land, fall in the quality of utility services and increased traffic jam. Recommendations made at the end of the study included the need for the central government to set aside some of the oil fund for the development of the oil producing communities including the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis that suffer some negative consequences (such as in-migration and infrastructural challenges) of the oil find. It was also recommended that the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly should adequately staff its planning department with the requisite planning officers in order to ensure speedy provision of their services to clients who want to put up buildings to address the housing deficit in the metropolis.

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

TAKYIWA, J (2021). Oil Discovery, In-Migration And Infrastructural Challenges In The Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/oil-discovery-in-migration-and-infrastructural-challenges-in-the-sekondi-takoradi-metropolis

MLA 8th

TAKYIWA, JENNIFER "Oil Discovery, In-Migration And Infrastructural Challenges In The Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis" Afribary. Afribary, 07 Apr. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/oil-discovery-in-migration-and-infrastructural-challenges-in-the-sekondi-takoradi-metropolis. Accessed 28 May. 2024.

MLA7

TAKYIWA, JENNIFER . "Oil Discovery, In-Migration And Infrastructural Challenges In The Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis". Afribary, Afribary, 07 Apr. 2021. Web. 28 May. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/oil-discovery-in-migration-and-infrastructural-challenges-in-the-sekondi-takoradi-metropolis >.

Chicago

TAKYIWA, JENNIFER . "Oil Discovery, In-Migration And Infrastructural Challenges In The Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis" Afribary (2021). Accessed May 28, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/oil-discovery-in-migration-and-infrastructural-challenges-in-the-sekondi-takoradi-metropolis