RURAL-URBAN MIGRATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, PLATEAU STATE

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more

Abstract

Rural-Urban migration is on daily basis on the increase due to the poor nature of rural communities which tends to push rural dwellers to urban centre. The situation in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State is not an exception as it constitutes a serious issue to the development of the area. The study adopted a purposive research method. A total of 502 respondents were sampled and administered with a questionnaire at Mista-Ali and Gurum villages of Pengana Chiefdom. However, only 354 copies of questionnaire were returned.  The student t test was used to test for statistical difference in the income level of migrants before and after migration to urban area. The result showed that over 60% of the migrants that had left the rural communities were farmers, while the remaining migrants were engaged in other forms of self-employment. Thus, the quest for better employment opportunities constituted 62.5% of the migrants reasons for leaving the rural areas while the remaining 37.5% were unemployed  and had moved out of the villages to seek employment. The study found that income level of migrants improved on arrival at their destinations. There is also a reduction in the number of non-income earners from 66.3% to 36.7%. This is attributed to the fact that some of the migrants are still schooling. Result of student t test shows there is significant difference between income of migrants before and after migration. The study revealed that unemployment, lack of accommodation, economic exploitation and distances to work places were the main problems faced by migrants in their new destinations. Hence, to prevent and control the problems created by rural-urban migration in the state, there is need for government to improve development in the areas of basic amenities rural communities, setting up vocational centres where youths will acquire skills, and the establishment of agro based industries to curd rural- urban migration to its barest minimum. Keywords: Rural-urban migration; youth unemployment, migrant remittance; social opportunity, out migration flow. 


Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Save
Need help with your academic research project/paper, technical or creative writing? Hire our expert researchers and writers. Click Here to Submit a Writing Request
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

Ananya, B., , A , 2Emeribe, B , 1Amadu, C & A., M (2022). RURAL-URBAN MIGRATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, PLATEAU STATE. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/rural-urban-migration-among-youths-in-bassa-local-government-area-plateau-state

MLA 8th

Ananya, Benjamin, et. al. "RURAL-URBAN MIGRATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, PLATEAU STATE" Afribary. Afribary, 09 Mar. 2022, https://afribary.com/works/rural-urban-migration-among-youths-in-bassa-local-government-area-plateau-state. Accessed 22 May. 2022.

MLA7

Ananya, Benjamin, Ananya , B. 2Emeribe , C. 1Amadu and M. A. . "RURAL-URBAN MIGRATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, PLATEAU STATE". Afribary, Afribary, 09 Mar. 2022. Web. 22 May. 2022. < https://afribary.com/works/rural-urban-migration-among-youths-in-bassa-local-government-area-plateau-state >.

Chicago

Ananya, Benjamin, Ananya , B. 2Emeribe , C. 1Amadu and M. A. . "RURAL-URBAN MIGRATION AMONG YOUTHS IN BASSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, PLATEAU STATE" Afribary (2022). Accessed May 22, 2022. https://afribary.com/works/rural-urban-migration-among-youths-in-bassa-local-government-area-plateau-state