This research work studied the role of advertising in the marketing of new Businesses (A case study of Shoprite Enugu). New business like other businesses is faced with or centres on the quality of product to be given to the consumers. This study as carried out to an extent to which advertising is adopted by business in Enugu generally and shoprite in particular.
In order to carry out the work, some of these objectives were stated;
- To determine whether the level of awareness of shoprite is as a result of advertising.
- To determine the impact of advertising on the marketing of goods and services in shoprite.
- To discover how advertising influences consumers patronage in shoprite.
- To know why the management decide to use the advertising techniques they are using.
- To determine if advertising has encouraged regular purchase in shoprite.
Based on the stated objectives, three hypotheses were formulated.
Extensive literature review of textbooks, newspapers, magazines, business journals were used, which is the secondary sources of data, personal interview (primary source) questionnaire design, observation for the research and hypothesis were tested by the researcher using chi-square (X2) statistical method and analyzed the research data found out in percentages. The data collected were presented on tabular form, and percentage was used for analysis. The sample size was determined using Taro Yamani formular for the consumer of shoprite and population census study for management and relevant staff of Shoprite Enugu.
In the process of this study, the following findings were revealed;
- That advertising has helped to create awareness for Shoprite.
- That advertising has affected sales positively at Shoprite.
- That the medium used by Shoprite to reach their target market or audience is fliers, radio, television, newspaper, magazine.
- That advertising has helped Shoprite gain market acceptance.
- That through advertising, Shoprite has been able to achieve its purpose in term of consumer patronage.
- That the cost of advertising does not affect the profit of Shoprite.
- That advertising is indispensable in the marketing of new businesses.
- That the advert message of shoprite is very strong and interesting, as the actual quality of goods is same as advertised.
In view of the revealing findings, recommendations on how to improve in the effectiveness or impact of advertising in Shoprite Enugu were offered.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Approval Page ii
Table of Contents x
1.1 Background of the study 1
1.2 Statement of the Problem 5
1.3 Objective of the study 6
1.4 Research Questions 7
1.5 Significance of the Study 5
1.6 Formulation of Hypothesis 9
1.7 Scope of the Study 10
1.8 Definition of Terms 11
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Planning for New Business 15
2.2 Historical Development of Advertising 18
2.3 A conceptual Framework of Advertising 22
2.4 Types of Advertising 32
2.5 Benefits of Advertising 34
2.6 Objectives of Advertising 37
2.7 Medias used for Advertising 39
2.8 Determining Advertising Budgets 40
2.9 Measuring the Effectiveness of Advertising 45
2.10 Problems of New Business 47
2.11 Historical Background of Shoprite 50
3.1 Sources of Data 55
3.2 Area of the Study 56
3.3 Population of the study 56
3.4 Determining of Sample Size 56
3.5 Sampling Techniques 58
3.6 Research Instrument Used 54
3.7 Method of Data Treatment and Analysis 94
3.8 Reliability of Research Instrument 60
PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
4.1 Data Presentation and Analysis 62
4.2 Testing and Interpretation of Hypothesis 79
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.1 Summary of Findings 85
5.2 Conclusion 86
5.3 Recommendation 87
Subscribe to access this work and thousands more