This paper suggests a cause of low density urban development or urban sprawl that has not been given much attention in the literature. There have been a number of arguments put forward for market failures that may account for urban sprawl, including incomplete pricing of infrastructure, environmental externalities, and unpriced congestion. The problem analyzed here is that urban growth creates benefits for an entire urban area, but the costs of growth are borne by individual neighborhoods. An externality problem arises because existing residents perceive the costs associated with the new residents locating in their neighborhoods, but not the full benefits of new entrants which accrue to the city as a whole. The result is that existing residents have an incentive to block new residents to their neighborhoods, resulting in cities that are less dense than is optimal, or too spread out. The paper models several different types of urban growth, and examines the optimal and local choice outcomes under each type. In the first model, population growth is endogenous and the physical limits of the city are fixed. The second model examines the case in which population growth in the region is given, but the city boundary is allowed to vary. We show that in both cases the city will tend to be larger and less dense than is optimal. In each, we examine the sensitivity of the model to the number of neighborhoods and to the size of infrastructure and transportation costs. Finally, we examine optimal subsidies and see how they compare to current policies such as impact fees on new development.
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2014, 10). Discuss The Phenomena Of Urban-sprawls And Sub-urban Development.. Afribary.com. Retrieved 10, 2014, from https://afribary.com/read/3500/discuss-the-phenomena-of-urban-sprawls-and-sub-urban-development-8552
"Discuss The Phenomena Of Urban-sprawls And Sub-urban Development." Afribary.com. 10 2014. 2014. 10 2014 <https://afribary.com/read/3500/discuss-the-phenomena-of-urban-sprawls-and-sub-urban-development-8552>.
"Discuss The Phenomena Of Urban-sprawls And Sub-urban Development.." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 10 2014. Web. 10 2014. <https://afribary.com/read/3500/discuss-the-phenomena-of-urban-sprawls-and-sub-urban-development-8552>.
"Discuss The Phenomena Of Urban-sprawls And Sub-urban Development.." Afribary.com. 10, 2014. Accessed 10, 2014. https://afribary.com/read/3500/discuss-the-phenomena-of-urban-sprawls-and-sub-urban-development-8552.
- Related Works
- A Technical Report On The Proposed Landscape Design Of Faculty Of Agriculture
- Rural Depopulation: The Planning Implications For The Development Of Urban Lagos
- Assessment Of Tourists Perception Of The Yankari Game Reserve As A Tourist Destination
- The Role Of Motivation In Improving The Performance Of Organization A Case Study Of Anamco Manufacturing Company Ltd Enugu)
- Explain Preparation Of New Town Plan
- Development Planning In Nigeria: Reflections On The National Economic Empowerment And Development Strategy (needs) 2003-2007
- Health Implcation Of Student Housing In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions: A Study Of Kaduna State College Of Education Gidan Waya.
- The Effects Of Land Use Act On Housing And Property Development In Nigeria
- Socio-economic Impact Of Obudu Ranch Resort On The Host Communities Of Cross River State-nigeria
- The Phenomena Of Urban-sprawls And Sub-urban Development