FACTORS AFFECTING THE UPTAKE OF HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING AMONG THE YOUTH IN THE SEFWI WIAWSO MUNICIPALITY

ABSTRACT Background: As an effective vaccine and cure for HIV is absent, testing and counseling for HIV remains an essential intervention in the control of the infection. However, uptake of this service in Ghana is very low especially among the youth. This study sought to assess the factors influencing the uptake of HIV testing and counseling services among the youth in the Sefwi Wiawso Municipality. The objective of this study was to assess the factors influencing uptake of HIV testing and counselling among the youth aged 15-24 years in the Sefwi Wiawso Municipality. Methodology: A cross sectional survey among youth groups aged between 15 and 24 was conducted using a questionnaire at Sefwi Wiawso. The study adopted simple random sampling to select participants. Data was collected on demographic profile, personal related and health system related factors that influence uptake of HIV testing and counselling. Results: The results show that more than half of young people (51%) patronized HIV Testing and Counselling (HTC) services. But the rest (49%) noted fear of discrimination, fear of negative outcomes, fear of stigma and self-trust, as barriers to uptake of HTC. It has was found that the sex of an individual influences whether or not young people will consider taking HTC services. Again, marital status and educational status are other demographic factors that have been found to have significant impact on HTC among young people. The most important factor related to testing and counseling for HIV, was identified as knowing where the HTC services are provided. Conclusion: The results of this research show that nearly half of the youth have never patronized HTC services due to reasons such as fear of discrimination, fear of a positive HIV v test. Also factors such as stigma, fear of positive results and discrimination were identified as barriers to HTC uptake among the youth. 

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

AMEYAW, E (2021). FACTORS AFFECTING THE UPTAKE OF HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING AMONG THE YOUTH IN THE SEFWI WIAWSO MUNICIPALITY. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/factors-affecting-the-uptake-of-hiv-testing-and-counselling-among-the-youth-in-the-sefwi-wiawso-municipality

MLA 8th

AMEYAW, ERIC "FACTORS AFFECTING THE UPTAKE OF HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING AMONG THE YOUTH IN THE SEFWI WIAWSO MUNICIPALITY" Afribary. Afribary, 11 Apr. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/factors-affecting-the-uptake-of-hiv-testing-and-counselling-among-the-youth-in-the-sefwi-wiawso-municipality. Accessed 29 May. 2024.

MLA7

AMEYAW, ERIC . "FACTORS AFFECTING THE UPTAKE OF HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING AMONG THE YOUTH IN THE SEFWI WIAWSO MUNICIPALITY". Afribary, Afribary, 11 Apr. 2021. Web. 29 May. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/factors-affecting-the-uptake-of-hiv-testing-and-counselling-among-the-youth-in-the-sefwi-wiawso-municipality >.

Chicago

AMEYAW, ERIC . "FACTORS AFFECTING THE UPTAKE OF HIV TESTING AND COUNSELLING AMONG THE YOUTH IN THE SEFWI WIAWSO MUNICIPALITY" Afribary (2021). Accessed May 29, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/factors-affecting-the-uptake-of-hiv-testing-and-counselling-among-the-youth-in-the-sefwi-wiawso-municipality