Factors Associated With Overweight And Obesity Among Adolescents In Senior High Schools In The Ga Central Municipality

ABSTRACT Introduction: Obesity has been described as an epidemic with more than one-third of children aged of 2 to 19, said to be overweight or obese. Adult obesity has been strongly linked to obesity in childhood and adolescence. It is therefore imperative to tackle this problem in the adolescent stage, to prevent entering adulthood with one of the major risk factors for Non-Communicable Diseases. Known immediate consequences of obesity include self-esteem, reduced cognitive capabilities, and memory functions. The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of overweight/obesity and factors associated with it. Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was done. A mixed public and private school in the Ga Central Municipality, Accra with students belonging to families to the high and low socio-economic class was selected. A multi-stage sampling design was used to select the form (based on years spent in school) and classes (based on courses offered). A simple random sampling was then used to select a representative sample of 219 adolescents (aged 10 to 19) in the school. Pre-coded structured questionnaires were administered to obtain information on socio-demographics, genetic, dietary and general lifestyle factors. Using a standardized protocol, height (to the nearest meters) and weight (to the nearest kilogram) were measured. Overweight was defined as BMI for Age Z-Scores (BAZ) >+1 SD ≤ BAZ +2, while obesity as BAZ > +2 SD using the World Health Organization Anthro plus growth Chart (WHOanthro plus). Data were assessed for association using Pearson’s chisquared test and binary/multivariate logistic regression analysis after adjusting for covariates. vi Results: The prevalence of underweight, overweight and obesity was 15%, 9.59% and 11.42% respectively. The overall overweight/obesity is 21.01% The risk factors associated with overweight and obesity in this study were gender, having a slim/slender father or relative, engaging in less or no vigorous physical activity, the number of meals taken in a day,. These were statistically significant (P

Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

Africa, P. & OSEI, P (2021). Factors Associated With Overweight And Obesity Among Adolescents In Senior High Schools In The Ga Central Municipality. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/factors-associated-with-overweight-and-obesity-among-adolescents-in-senior-high-schools-in-the-ga-central-municipality

MLA 8th

Africa, PSN, and PRINCE OSEI "Factors Associated With Overweight And Obesity Among Adolescents In Senior High Schools In The Ga Central Municipality" Afribary. Afribary, 09 Apr. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/factors-associated-with-overweight-and-obesity-among-adolescents-in-senior-high-schools-in-the-ga-central-municipality. Accessed 22 May. 2024.

MLA7

Africa, PSN, and PRINCE OSEI . "Factors Associated With Overweight And Obesity Among Adolescents In Senior High Schools In The Ga Central Municipality". Afribary, Afribary, 09 Apr. 2021. Web. 22 May. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/factors-associated-with-overweight-and-obesity-among-adolescents-in-senior-high-schools-in-the-ga-central-municipality >.

Chicago

Africa, PSN and OSEI, PRINCE . "Factors Associated With Overweight And Obesity Among Adolescents In Senior High Schools In The Ga Central Municipality" Afribary (2021). Accessed May 22, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/factors-associated-with-overweight-and-obesity-among-adolescents-in-senior-high-schools-in-the-ga-central-municipality