Integrating the Strength of Multi-Date Sentinel-1 and -2 Datasets for Detecting Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Orchards in a Semi-Arid Environment in Zimbabwe

Abstract:

Generating tree-specific crop maps within heterogeneous landscapes requires imagery of fine spatial and temporal resolutions to discriminate among the rapid transitions in tree phenological and spectral features. The availability of freely accessible satellite data of relatively high spatial and temporal resolutions offers an unprecedented opportunity for wide-area land use and land cover (LULC) mapping, including tree crop (e.g., mango; Mangifera indica L.) detection. We evaluated the utility of combining Sentinel-1 (S1) and Sentinel-2 (S2) derived variables (n = 81) for mapping mango orchard occurrence in Zimbabwe using machine learning classifiers, i.e., support vector machine and random forest. Field data were collected on mango orchards and other LULC classes. Fewer variables were selected from ‘All’ combined S1 and S2 variables using three commonly utilized variable selection methods, i.e., relief filter, guided regularized random forest, and variance inflation factor. Several classification experiments (n = 8) were conducted using 60% of field datasets and combinations of ‘All’ and fewer selected variables and were compared using the remaining 40% of the field dataset and the area underclass approach. The results showed that a combination of random forest and relief filter selected variables outperformed (F1 score > 70%) all other variable combination experiments. Notwithstanding, the differences among the mapping results were not significant (p ≤ 0.05). Specifically, the mapping accuracy of the mango orchards was more than 80% for each of the eight classification experiments. Results revealed that mango orchards occupied approximately 18% of the spatial extent of the study area. The S1 variables were constantly selected compared with the S2-derived variables across the three variable selection approaches used in this study. It is concluded that the use of multi-modal satellite imagery and robust machine learning classifiers can accurately detect mango orchards and other LULC classes in semi-arid environments. The results can be used for guiding and upscaling biological control options for man
Subscribe to access this work and thousands more
Overall Rating

0

5 Star
(0)
4 Star
(0)
3 Star
(0)
2 Star
(0)
1 Star
(0)
APA

Mudereri, B (2024). Integrating the Strength of Multi-Date Sentinel-1 and -2 Datasets for Detecting Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Orchards in a Semi-Arid Environment in Zimbabwe. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/integrating-the-strength-of-multi-date-sentinel-1-and-2-datasets-for-detecting-mango-mangifera-indica-l-orchards-in-a-semi-arid-environment-in-zimbabwe

MLA 8th

Mudereri, Bester "Integrating the Strength of Multi-Date Sentinel-1 and -2 Datasets for Detecting Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Orchards in a Semi-Arid Environment in Zimbabwe" Afribary. Afribary, 10 Mar. 2024, https://afribary.com/works/integrating-the-strength-of-multi-date-sentinel-1-and-2-datasets-for-detecting-mango-mangifera-indica-l-orchards-in-a-semi-arid-environment-in-zimbabwe. Accessed 26 May. 2024.

MLA7

Mudereri, Bester . "Integrating the Strength of Multi-Date Sentinel-1 and -2 Datasets for Detecting Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Orchards in a Semi-Arid Environment in Zimbabwe". Afribary, Afribary, 10 Mar. 2024. Web. 26 May. 2024. < https://afribary.com/works/integrating-the-strength-of-multi-date-sentinel-1-and-2-datasets-for-detecting-mango-mangifera-indica-l-orchards-in-a-semi-arid-environment-in-zimbabwe >.

Chicago

Mudereri, Bester . "Integrating the Strength of Multi-Date Sentinel-1 and -2 Datasets for Detecting Mango (Mangifera indica L.) Orchards in a Semi-Arid Environment in Zimbabwe" Afribary (2024). Accessed May 26, 2024. https://afribary.com/works/integrating-the-strength-of-multi-date-sentinel-1-and-2-datasets-for-detecting-mango-mangifera-indica-l-orchards-in-a-semi-arid-environment-in-zimbabwe