This study was undertaken to investigate the effect of teaching aids on the performance of pupils
in Mathematics in primary schools in Kitgum District. The case of selected primary schools in
Mucwini Sub County.
A qualitative research technique was selected to this study using a variety of research
The subject in the study included the D.E.O, 3 head teachers, 32 teachers, 196 pupils, 80 parents
and 24 School Management Committee who were randomly selected.
The instruments that were used in the study included self constructed questionnaire and interview
The data obtained from the study was analyzed qualitatively. Frequency tables and percentages
were used to present and analyze the data. Data obtained from the interview were equally
The researcher made summary of the major findings of the study arising from the
research questions as presented below:
• There is inadequacy of instmctional materials provision at Lagotcugu CC
Mucwini Sub County.
• Training of teachers has a great impact in the teaching leaming process. Thus
enhances pupils' academic perfonnance.
• Teachers' laxity and lack of commitments in teaching and incompetence in
using instmctionalmaterials cause pupils not to receive proper teaching and can
not read, interpret and write Mathematical statements in ·.'lords f01m correctly.
Such pupils lose interest in Education and perform poorly.
• Many parents have negative attitude towards Education such that they cannot
raise or do not want to pay additional money levied for uniforms, exercise
books and mid- day meals among other things.
• Children's rights have given too much freedom to pupils which have affected
their level of discipline.
• Lack of individual pupil's attention. There is less individual attention by
teachers due to the big U.P.E numbers.
• That there is no group discussion formed in most schools to aid leaming and
• That the availability of teaching leaming aids is very imp011ant in the teachingleaming process to promote meaningfulleaming and effective communication.
Arising from the discussions and summery of the findings of this research
projects, the researcher arrived at the following conclusion.
Teaching aids has great effect in enhancing pupils' academic performance in
Mucwini Sub County. It fu11her revealed that trained teachers are adequate
on the ground.
• Group discussion has impact on leamers' academic perf01mance and aid in
memory recalls and systematic reasoning of the pupils yet lacking in the schools
• That there is inadequacy in provision of printed materials in most schools. This
inadequacy has very much affected teaching because teachers can not guide
pupils practically hence, all the teaching is theoretical.
• Lack of mid-day meals. Schools do not provide lunch tO p~pils yet it's one of the
real objects that stimulate leaming.
• Parents do not provide enough scholastic materials to their children. For example
the data revealed that most of the pupils lack school uniforms and Mathematical
• Lack of individual pupil attention. Most of the respondents visited said that there
is less individual pupil attention by teachers due to the big U.P.E numbers.
• There are very many curriculums in operation in schools. This is misleading most
• A teacher work load expands beyond the normal class time to the tedious process
of preparing lessons plans, looking for teaching aids, monitoring individual
process ofleamers and other activities that come with the job.
• The New vision Newspaper between January and March 2001, of the 150
candidates interviewed, only 2 (1.3%) wanted to become teachers, the reason
given to avoiding teaching profession generally points to the unattractiveness of
the teaching profession. Yet these stars attribute their success to teachers.
The researcher arrived at the following recommendations arising from the findings
of this study,
• The pupils should fmm discussion groups in order to get or share knowledge
among themselves so as to perfmm well in exercises and overall grade pass.
• Revising the cuJTent teaching syllabuses which appear to be too academic to
incorporate skills that are commensurate with the cun·ent trends of development
• Ministry of Education and sports should provide schools with the necessary
materials e.g. teachers' reference books, pupils' text books and other print
VINCENT, L (2021). The effect of teaching aids on the performance of pupils in mathematics in primary schools in kitgum district. The case of selected . Primary schools in mucwini sub-county.. Afribary. Retrieved from https://afribary.com/works/the-effect-of-teaching-aids-on-the-performance-of-pupils-in-mathematics-in-primary-schools-in-kitgum-district-the-case-of-selected-primary-schools-in-mucwini-sub-county
VINCENT, LOKLANYA "The effect of teaching aids on the performance of pupils in mathematics in primary schools in kitgum district. The case of selected . Primary schools in mucwini sub-county." Afribary. Afribary, 10 Jun. 2021, https://afribary.com/works/the-effect-of-teaching-aids-on-the-performance-of-pupils-in-mathematics-in-primary-schools-in-kitgum-district-the-case-of-selected-primary-schools-in-mucwini-sub-county. Accessed 28 Oct. 2021.
VINCENT, LOKLANYA . "The effect of teaching aids on the performance of pupils in mathematics in primary schools in kitgum district. The case of selected . Primary schools in mucwini sub-county.". Afribary, Afribary, 10 Jun. 2021. Web. 28 Oct. 2021. < https://afribary.com/works/the-effect-of-teaching-aids-on-the-performance-of-pupils-in-mathematics-in-primary-schools-in-kitgum-district-the-case-of-selected-primary-schools-in-mucwini-sub-county >.
VINCENT, LOKLANYA . "The effect of teaching aids on the performance of pupils in mathematics in primary schools in kitgum district. The case of selected . Primary schools in mucwini sub-county." Afribary (2021). Accessed October 28, 2021. https://afribary.com/works/the-effect-of-teaching-aids-on-the-performance-of-pupils-in-mathematics-in-primary-schools-in-kitgum-district-the-case-of-selected-primary-schools-in-mucwini-sub-county