The purpose of this research study is to obtain the effects of Training and development on the employee’s performance with particular reference to United Bank for Africa Plc.
In order to achieve this objective, sample 100 were randomly selected out of the total employees of 2060 covering both top management and senior management staff.
The statistical technique used was Chi square method. Simple percentage method was used in analyzing the questionnaires, which was presented in tabular form.
The findings are as following:
1. That Training and development bring about the needed growth for employees performance.
2. That Training and development have played an important role in the external growth of a number of leading organization
It was concluded that:
1. That training and development lead to increase in employee’s performance and output, it was gathered that majority of the respondents were of the opinion that training and development will lead to high efficiency of the organization, profitability and expansion of the organization.
2. Despite the short run initial challenges associated with training and development, it brings about long term benefits to the organization.
It is recommended that, with the immense benefits of the individual growth and corporate performance achieved through training and development, the procedure to a successful integration’s is filled with it, the issue of fair value of a successful integration’s is filled with obstacles. Training and Development have certain costs associated with it, the issue of training needs and style, procedures of training are problems face by training organization. To cope with these problems, the following suggestions are recommended.
1. There is need for adequate planning for training and development
2. There should be a proper assessment of the Training NEEDS of any proposed training both immediate and remote before training should be embark on.
3. Development of employees should be based on some meaningful criteria like managerial talents, productivity, and business growth.
The recent global economic recession heralded diverse experience across businesses. It was a threatening period that led to unexpected changes for many careers, businesses, organization as well as individuals. To some, the experience provided the opportunity for creative thinking and new development.
As we navigate through the troubled water of recovery, business leaders and professionals have engaged diverse strategies. Some organizations displayed a high level of business intelligence, leveraging on the intellectual commitment of their staff to stay afloat. Nevertheless, the rate of talents and careers that were drowned by the economic recession was quit much due to unbalanced acquisition of new skills, training and development.
It is not a fallacy to say that training constitute the core of staff productivity in any organization. In organization, whether public or private concern, it is the staff that plays critical role in helping organization, groups or society to achieve their stated goals and objective.
Hence, to accomplish this purpose, training and development need be adopted to have an optimal high productivity on staff performance. Organizational performance depends on how employees are being trained and motivated.
No organization can triumph in the race of economic recession, and business uncertainty because our world is currently under going rapid changes particular in the area of skill obsolesce and technological capability; training is not exclusively reserve for newly employed staff but also for the old employees as well.
Commercial banks just like any other organization in Nigeria strive to achieve optimum efficiency in their human resources management, thus devote a large chunk of their substantial capital to training and development. This becomes more imperative with successful completion of Mergers, Acquisition and it attendant increase in capitalization witnessed of recent in the Nigeria Baking industry which necessitated increase in attention of training and development.